Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A few words on food

I don't know why the idea of setting up a food blog didn't occur to me before tonight. It could be a quirk of mine, I don't know- it usually takes a strange, random night like this one for me to do anything: like the night I started blogging at my other address, or the (not so occasional) night when I pick up my handy mixer for excessive kitchen splatter after fidgeting about irritably for hours.

This blog is dedicated to the things that sweeten and flavour my life- all the little edible things that give me so much joy to whip up. I've always loved food. Sometimes even looking at good food makes me happy, and who can deny the pleasure of eating something delicious that's sincerely and generously made? I've also always loved writing, so there can be nothing more grossly self-indulgent for me than keeping a food blog. You know, to take a break from serious, mind-bending stuff at my other blog. I've named it after my spatula, because it's one of my favourite kitchen tools and does just above everything. You can't deny it- next to my dream Kitchenaid, the spatula is a godsend.

Many times, when I sit at home and do nothing, the itch to get about and keep myself occupied comes along. Somehow, I always end up either writing, re-arranging music or cooking. I now realise that it's my right-brainedness doing the work- causing this insatiable urge to create things out of scratch, and to sit back and admire the fruits of my hapazard labour. It's why I love cooking- because it satisfies my need to create, my strangely uncharacteristic love of understanding the science behind recipes, my love of food, and my need for adventure in trying out new things. My friend once jokingly remarked that I should get a life, but I think cooking makes life a million times more interesting.

Besides, cooking also makes my friends happy, because the results of experimentation with food are almost always completely edible, heh. I love the thought of cooking for others, and myself, as well as the thought of eating with others (and on my own!). It's the only life skill I can hope to claim upon- my ability to feed myself and those around me, and I thank God everyday for it.

I hope you all enjoy this blog!

1 comment:

fab said...

i'd certainly enjoy this blog, cause i enjoyed the first entry.

is it possible to order from you? (: and i decided that i shall start learning, joining the ranks of you and juling and yijun (thats if i even have the aptitude to begin with.haha)